Tuesday, September 15, 2015

#itisgood

God was really excited when he started speaking things into being. He spoke the lights into the heavens. First of all, stop…and just try to wrap your mind around that--I do all the time. God speaks and things come into being. I bet it was like a breeze, the sweet cool kind right at the start of Autumn, you know the one--it cools to a crispness that makes apple tree blooms, kids laugh, beer glasses toast, lovers snuggle...it makes love feel magical: and from that magic--sparks fly. Those sparks dance, possibly sing (or at least chime). They laugh back to the giggles of excitement from the creator. And in a flash that would rival any lightening storm--they burst forth and set themselves into the canvas of eternity: never taking for granted that they are indeed an expression of the creator. At least that is how I picture it.

He went on to set life into motion and with each stroke of creativity he said--this is good. His exclamation at the end of each created piece to the puzzle of our world: it is good.

But like a stop sign on the Autobahn to your leaded right foot everything changes. God says: it is not good...FOR MAN TO BE ALONE.

That is when he gave me your mother.

Dear Sweet Child of Mine,

I want you to know your mother the way I know her. She is the grace that flows in your veins. In your life you will feel the need to love someone who is seemingly unlovable--that is your mother speaking. One day I want you to ask her where her grace comes from. She has a beautiful story to share with you. 

She is hilarious. However, you will only see this at home played out in a lot of goofy dances, made up words and phrases, nick names, and well placed (sometimes hidden even :) ) puns. Don't even try to get her to perform in public. She won't do it. You might be able to get her to flex her arm muscle, though under immense peer pressure, otherwise, peer pressure doesn't work on her.

She makes your father feel like a man. Learn this. Whether you are a boy or a girl this will be a great example for you. It is a rarity. The way you will see it is in her pride for you. She will  always be proud of you. I know this because she is proud of me. And you are part of me, part of her, and all of us.

She tells me when I am wrong with my well being in mind. She does't tell me I am wrong to make sure I understand my wrongness. She tells me I am wrong because she wants me to be better. She has the best in mind for me. 

Your mother is beautiful. (Don't listen to her when she blames you for what you have done for her body though--that's the hormones talking.) She is a beautiful soul. You can just look at her and know that. My dad, your grandpa, used to joke with her saying she is in a program to date ugly people and that is how I ended up with her. But there is a lot to be said there--seriously look at your mom and then look at me. You will be trying to figure this out for a long time. Your first words might actually be "how" instead of dad or mom. There are times when she literally takes my breath away. One day lets look through our wedding album and the photos Caroline took of your mother and I--on that day she was glowing she was so beautiful. 

She has self-control. Please get this. For real. Please. Your father has none. Or maybe a little but just barely. I desperately want you to learn self-control. It will equate to success in your life. Happiness in your marriage. Freedom in your giving. Peace when you lay your head down to rest. Bind in to you like a third arm. (Not sure why that was the first thing that came to my head, but it works.)

She worships God. But even more amazingly--she helps others get there. That gift is storing up treasure for her in heave: the likes we will never fully understand until we are there. I hope you get this talent. 

You mother is all of the best words in the english dictionary personified into one simple being. She is so proud of you. She prays for you every single day. She is cherishing these moments where she gets to nourish you physically. 


Your mother is my hero, and I bet she will be yours too. (And I'm also pretty okay.)

Love,

Arguably the Luckiest Dad in the World




No comments:

Post a Comment