Thursday, November 12, 2015

#christmas

I love Christmas. I am the guy that everyone complains about bringing Christmas celebration to the forefront too early. I start listening to Christmas music in October. I would decorate for Christmas before Halloween if possible. (And by possible I mean if Ellen would let me.)

But why do I love Christmas so much? Let me count the ways… Allow me to fill you in on a childlike explosion of joy for me at Christmas time.

First is the feel of family. Growing up, my family life was a bit chaotic. Mom and Dad divorced when I was in the third grade. But no matter what--during Christmas time there were no challenges. We spent the night at one house on Christmas Eve and would wake up and do a Christmas morning exchange to the other. It was pleasant and exciting and peaceful. Mom and Dad both celebrated only one thing on Christmas day--their boys. They made us feel like the world began and ended with their stair step of three children: Jesse, Randy, and Travis. How could you not want to rush the Christmas season into existence each year when your sweetest memories of family are founded in red, green, spruce, and tinsel?

And talk all you want about the commercialization of Christmas. Talk about missing the reason for the season. Talk about your philosophical/spiritual principles. But for me, I saw sacrifice on Christmas morning through the gifts selflessly given to us. We were not rich by a long shot, but somehow Mom and Dad made three little boys feel like they could own the world. They sacrificed to lavish wonderful gifts upon us--gifts we didn't dare ask for because we knew that it was a stretch for our family. We were content with blocks and off brand games, but on Christmas day, opening the brand new Nintendo Entertainment System meant so much more than entertainment. It was personification of sacrifice and love. Any nay-sayers: your point is moot--it falls on the deaf ears of Randy Olive viewing his Mom and Dad as heroes.

The Christmas Season celebrates life. Now let's track into the spiritual. Christmas for me means life. It is a celebration (however historically inaccurate the date may or may not be) of the birth of Jesus Christ. Highlighting that a little earlier than the rest of those surrounding me will always be okay. Always. I love music like O Holy Night (especially Olive & Willis style), Mary Did You Know, Hark the Herald Angels Sing, etc... singing about and to the child of God. A child who knew from a very young age the sacrifice he would make for mankind. The teenager that wanted to live to please his Father. The man who showed love to widows, children, whores, lost, damned, and broken. Why not celebrate his figurative birthday a bit longer than just a few days. (I mean seriously--we celebrate our own birthdays more lavishly than how we celebrate Jesus coming as Emmanuel – God WITH us!)

I love people. To a fault if you ask Ellen. People energize me. You want to find me relaxing? Let me throw a party. Ellen laughs at me because I am truly energized by people. When most want to come home and crash, I would much rather come home and get ready for ten people to invade the privacy of my home while we share food, beer, wine, laughter, dessert, stories, and love. No other time of the year do more people get out of their homes than during the Christmas season. They get into the busy bustle of shopping and figure skating and seeing Christmas programs. It forces people to respond (even if by force) in a social manner to complete strangers. Sure it gets out of hand at times (i.e. wrestling for the TV special pricing on Black Friday) but force your eyes away from that and onto the outdoor ice skating rink: watch the laughter. To the Starbucks line: check out the joy. To the elbows of strangers rubbing accidentally: embrace the contact of another human. And all with the magical feeling of Christmas. Mmmmmmmmm.

And who doesn't love looking at Christmas decorations? (I know a few of you raised your E-hand, but you don't count--at least for me to make my point. :) ) I love looking at Christmas lights. Get them up early and often. The more the merrier. This is another point of nostalgia to me. (Warning for my mother reading this--see to the point I am making, not the preface to the story.) Mom would drive us to look at lights. My mother looked alive in the slow motion procedure of touring the twinkling houses. She was always so tired. Single mom, working, three boys (crazy boys), a family, personal time, volunteering, searching to not be alone… TIRED!! Which often turned to stress, which in turn turned to a bit of anger. But NOT when we cruised the light parade. Not when little bags with tea lights lined neighborhoods. Not when we chiaroscuro-ed our faces in the night with an overabundant glow of tiny lights.

And lastly: why not? Christmas is the one time of the year when people give to each other. Even if out of vanity, the practice of giving breeds joy. Even if the motives are wrong, when you practice doing what is right, good things will happen. Simple. True.

Dear Adam,
Let's make some Christmas memories that will spur you on to love Christmas the way I do. Let's make these special moments that we cry over the day I slip into eternity. Let's speak of Christmas and the redemption it has brought to this broken little boy--your father. Let's laugh and love it. Let's do everything way too early and spend the count down MONTHS celebrating like it would be our last. One day it will be. And we will be the kings of the world--holding onto a secret that everyone is welcome to. Come and join our Christmas celebration. You will smile. The Grinch's heart would actually grow four times!! I love you son. I love you more than you will ever know. And I will spend the rest of my life proving that to you!
Love,
Arguably Santa Clause

No comments:

Post a Comment